Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Aug 28, 2013

How I Improved my Listening Ability

I would like to write about how I improved my listening ability of English. 

After graduating from a high school at 18, I studied at a two-year Japanese college majoring in English language communication.  I took many classes which were taught by native speakers of English.

After that, I worked as a clerk at various import and export businesses for 20 years.   I was assigned to work for international departments.  I wrote several kinds of business documents in English and also send/recieve emails with foreign customers.
 
  1. I enjoyed working as a bilingual secretary.
  2. When I was 24 years old, I studied at a US college, and studied business for one year.
  3. Unless the time I attended the classes When I didn't have classes, I stayed at a the college dormitory for the most of the time.
  4. For summer vacation, During my summer vacation,  I left the dormitory, and I stayed at a house with American family.
  5. Because I studied only one year there at the age of 23, and now I am at 47 years old, time has passed since then. I had a short stay in America, and now 24 years have passed since then, my English speaking skills may have decreased.    
  6. But I kept keep up studying English ever since.
  7. I took TOEIC two years ago, which marked got a score of 835.  My speaking ability is still not good enough still needs improvement, and that's why I chose to enroll at rarejob online school.
  8. Nowadays, I study English through by listening to news lessons.
  9. I have been studying in English in through the following ways since January.
  10. I buy a monthly English news magazine which was actually broadcasted in NHK.
  11. NHK is short for Nippon Hoso Kyokai, the only broadcasting station run by the Japanese governemnt.
  12. The magazine contents contains 15 or 20 different news written in English with its Japanese translation.
  13. One news' length is about one minute (60 seconds) to one and half minute (90 seconds).
  14. One CD disc is attached by with the magazine, which was English native speaker read the news is read by an English native speaker with both "normal speed" and "slow speed."
  15. Every month, I go to a bookstore to buy the magazine.
  16. And I go back to my home, I sit down in front of my personal computer.
  17. Then, I go back home, sit down in front of my pc, go to iTunes, and put CD into the my computer, and then transfer the content of the CD to my ipod.
  18. Every day, I use my ipod to listen to an item a piece of the news. CONTINUE to the next lesson, thank you!
  19. I play and pause, and write down every phrase that I just have heard.
  20. Then, replay it again to ensure that what I have heard is correct.
  21. I spend 20 minutes to replay and repeat this until I finish the new item
  22. Through this practice, I think my listening ability has been improved.
  23. Now, I try to listen to BBC world podcast news every day.
  24. I think I already understand half of the news.
  25.  After 20 minutes of repeating/replaying, I can now say that I have the ability to understand it fully.
  26. IN the near future, I hope I can already understand the podcast/it just by listening to it once
  • Thank you!  

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment