Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Sep 20, 2013

Ask your opinion for proper use of "equipmentS" and "kinds"

14:30-14:55  Friday, Sept. 20, 2013

Hello.  This would be our first lesson today, S sensei.
Could you please let me excuse not to have long-self-introduction for today's lesson as I have written down many things below.  I would like your to use them for our lesson material.

I've been a rare-job student since August 28, and I have taken almost 14 hours of lessons so far.
I am a 47-year-old housewife in Himeji, I used to work as a clerk in different kinds of import and export businesses in Tokyo from the age at 20 to 40.   I got married at 40, and moved here in Himeji.  I have been living here for 7 years now.

(Please don't make corrections in this entry because one lesson is limited to 25 minutes.)

In these days, I have been taking lessons with J sensei and M sensei for my previous entry titled, "My Caregiver Trainee Experience."    Both sensei have nursing licences, and I ask them to revise my blog writing in our lessons.  During the 25-minute lessons, J sensei and M sensei concentrate on what they are asked to, which is revising my blog, and some times we enjoy discussions on topic related for about 5 minutes or so.

Unfortunately J sensei has gone to university yesterday, and she had no class in Rare Job.  On the other hand, M sensei became sick, and went to hospital yesterrday. 

I had to find another sensei, and found D sensei,  I took her lesson.  She was great because not only she as a nursing licence, she had an experience of teaching lessons for caregiver trainees.  I was glad to know that Rare Job has such a fantastic teacher at first. 

At the beginning of our lesson, I told her to make corrections for my grammatical mistake, and so on.    But actually she made a lot of questions out of curiosity, such as "What was the national holiday this past Monday in Japan?" ”How many lessons have you taken in Rare Job now?"  "Why?  Only 10 hours?"  "What year in August?"  "I have a 10 month old baby, so I decided to stay my place for most of the time..."etc. It seemed that she would continue her talking forever.  Anyway the 25-minute lesson passed so fast.   Eventually I had only as much as 3 sentences were revised by her.

Anyway,  the below is the sentences which was corrected by her, and I still have some question.
The sentences were originally from my previous entry titled  "My Caregiver Trainee Experience."

In my opinion,  however, I am not sure if D sensei has made corrections for proper English, so  I would ask you who has a 5-year experience as teaching in Rare Job today.

D sensei's correction
  1. The first floor also has an office for nurses where medical equipments and medicines are stored, and offices for the employers and employees (presidents, managers, and care givers, etc.)

  2. My original sentence is shown below in black color.            
     The first floor also has an office for nurses where medical equipment and medicine were stored, and offices for employer-and-employees (president, managers, and care givers, etc

    In my opinion, I understood the word "medicine" should have been plural, and I agreed with her. But regarding the word "equipment," my dictionary says "equipment" is an non-countable noun for many cases.  But D sensei made a correction and used the word in plural form.  As she didn't have the time for explanation during the lesson.  Please tell me which should be proper word in this sentence.

    Another example, when it comes to the word "furniture," it is also an non-countable noun.   For example, one table, two chairs and three desks are "furniture", not "furnitures."
     (At S sensei's lesson, she suggested that the usage of "equipments" be correctly used as above.  (D sensei's way is correct.) 
          medical equipments
          medical
          determiners 
          ex. articles
         It can be pluralized.

-------------------------------------------

I wrote this question to Lang-8, and I was given some advice from a native speaker of American English.

The first floor has also an office for nurses where medical equipment and medicines are stored, and also where the offices for the employers and employees are.

His suggestion is as follows:
Equipment is both singular and plural. Much equipment, one piece of equipment.
There are quite a few words in the English language that don't always make sense. Such words can be like "equipment" for an instance/for example.

My equipment is busted, I need to commission some new.
They had some very advanced equipment with them on board, I wonder who they were!?
This equipment is very expensive, even though it consists of so many different parts and is hard to assemble.
The diving suit equipment is quite heavy, so be sure to watch your footing when you walk around.


------------------------------------------------

D sensei's another correction is shown below in red-color letters.
  1. There are two kinds of units on the second floor.
  2. The second floor has two units.  (my original sentence)
  3. Designs and sizes of the units are almost the same.  (my original sentence)
In my opinion, for the usage of "kinds," let me say, for example,
"Here, we have two kinds of ice cream, one is with the flavor of vanilla, and the other (is with the flavor of) strawberry.  Which one do you like?" 

Is the word, "kinds" used because the flavors are different??  In that case, we may find another word for "kinds."  If you have an idea, please tell me more appropriate word?

S sensei's suggestion:   Let's leave the original sentence as it is.  I don't have to make corrections to the original sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment