Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Oct 13, 2013

For 8:30 a.m., 14th October lesson.

      I would like to express my thankfulness to M sensei for her great help edit my poor English to  
       a decent English for this entry.   

Please view the 1 minute example video on how to move an elderly person from the bed to the chair by YouTube.   The process  

            As you can see in the video, the caregiver places her right arm between the neck and the shoulder while the left arm is below the shoulder on the waistline. That is how we transfer an elderly from the bed to the wheelchair.

             One time at the elderly home, one of my colleagues, W-san, was too hasty in doing the procedure so it was unsuccessful. She placed both her arms on E-san's waist and it was unstable so she slipped and fell by accident. E-san also fell and hit her forehead on the drawer beside her.  W-san was terrified and called me, "Please come!  I made a terrible mistake." I called a nurse immediately. She came and checked for injuries from head to toe.

           E-san, the elderly lady, was bleeding on the forehead that the nurse needed to use a gauze to stop it.  She kept on changing the soaked gauze for some time, but the bleeding didn't stop. The nurse then called her supervisor and after a few minutes, they decided to call an ambulance.

            Five minutes later, the ambulance arrived with three emergency medical team  (EMT) members. They carefully positioned E-san on the stretcher.  W-san, the caregiver trainee, and one office manager left for the hospital together with E-san on the ambulance.

          W-san was back from the hospital hours later   and apologized to E-san's family as well as to the staff in the elderly home.  E-san was hospitalized for 2 weeks.

          She wrote an incident report about the accident. The managers asked her to review and revise the document several times before submitting it to the city office. We also had a unit meeting wherein we talked about why the accident happened and how to avoid such in the future.

Here is another story.

              At the end of February, two caregiver trainees in our unit quit their job. As a result the remaining caregiver trainees worked 24 hours per shift. The 2 caregiver trainees who left their work were hard workers, so I was afraid that we would have to work harder from March onwards. 

             One of the two caregivers who left, was a team leader who worked as a caregiver for 20 years. As a beginner then, I had admired her great work and dedication as a caregiver.  In fact, I always sought her advice on how to do things in the workplace. There were times when I would be the only caregiver trainee in the unit  thus I would have to take care as many as 10 elderlies all at the same time.  Attending to two or three elderlies all at the same time in their toilet needs would just be impossible without compromising effective and quality health care. So, before she left, I asked her how we could possibly handle things being short-staffed. 

          To my surprise, she gave an answer that changed my impression of her she said, “There are three toilets in our unit so you can use all of them at the same time.  You can help them simultaneously by starting with one, and starting the second while the first is seated on the toilet, and so on. As soon as you are done with maybe the third, it would be timely then to go back to the first, then to second and so on. “

            I said, "I don't like to act that way!   Please imagine what can happen next.  While I am attending to someone, others might call me for emergency. Unable to go instantly because of a patient I may be attending to at the moment, the calling patient might stumble or fall to the floor while trying to help herself alone instead. This can lead to serious consequences – even death which I would be fully responsible of and answerable for. I can’t take things for granted.

      Such was an expected situation and yes, I encountered it many times. I didn’t handle it though, as suggested by the leader then. Rather, I explained to the patients that we were short-staffed and advised them to do their thing with their diapers on for their safety’s sake.

       Here is another story.

              The male trainee, who became our new team leader had been over worked and stumbled in his home toilet at around 2:00 a.m.   He was lucky because he lived with his parents and one of them found him unconscious in the toilet bleeding from his head at around 5:00 a.m. At 8:30 a.m., his parent took him to the hospital, which opens at 9:00a.m.  They wanted to be treated ahead of all other patients as emergency. He was CT-scanned his, and fortunately no serious problem was found except a wound that was had seven stitches.   Our nurses advised him to take 4 or 5 days off due to the injury.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment