Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Feb 20, 2016

Christmas Rose Festival in 2016

The poster shows that the Christmas Rose Event will be held from Feb. 20 to Mar. 13, 2016 at Tegarayama Botanical Garden, Himeji City, Hyogo Prefecture.




My husband is one of the Christmas Rose collectors, and he is currently growing more than 500 pots in our garden.

He wanted to display some from his collections at the event so he chose more than 100 pots from our garden two days ago.  One of the staff members at the municipal garden drove his truck to our house to pick up 100 pots of Christmas roses for their three-week--event.  

My husband and I drove to the place to prepare our floral display yesterday.  I had brought some rugs from our kitchen so that we can clean up dirt on the flower pots there.  We also wrote down the variety's name on each plate, and placed them on the long tables they had prepared.






We started the preparation after 11:00 a.m. and ended after 3:00 p.m.



My husband looked happy after finishing the arrangement.


More than 3 years have passed since he set up a group called "Himeji Christmas Rose Fan Club."  There seems to be approximately 20 members, most of whom are in their 60s.  Some of them are retired from their work.  The members' flowers are being displayed at the event.  However, none of them appeared at the site to help us yesterday.  Obviously, the members don't agree with my husband's policies for the group.

Some of his policies are as follows:

"The members can sell their flowers in local shops or online stores, but should not include the phrase, "I belong to Himeji Christmas Rose Fan Club."

"A member can donate his/her flowers to another member of the club but must not sell them."

Last year, he found out that some members had violated these policies and he dismissed them from the group.  My husband who majored in agriculture in a national university has been very particular about his thesis for flowers.

I don't really agree with my husband's policies for the group and I have got these ideas:

We should be grateful for the members that they have joined us.  Most of them are over their 60s who depend on their pension.  Some of them work part time because they still want some income.  They still have energy to grow their flowers.  In my opinion, growing their flowers in their garden and selling them would be more attractive.  If they plant flowers, there may have more chances of finding new varieties.  If they are beautiful, they will be sold at higher prices.  This could make them more motivated to live.  The club should act like a venue that provides new information for the trend and the popular color for the season. It may offer chances  to exchange opinions among its members.   He also should give other members the chance to express their ideas.  Setting up a bulletin board on the Internet exclusively to the members could be one option. If they make money from the club, it could be a group effort.  Make another project out of the profit.

I know if I bring up the issue to my husband, we may end up arguing seriously, so I'd rather not talk about it with him.  Growing Christmas rose is not my cup of tea because I don't like to water them, which take more than 3 hours or so in one time.  We have to water them at least twice a week in summer and once a week in winter season.  The maximum number of flowers I can take care of would be 5 or 6 pots only.

What I can only do is to help him one day out of 365 days, and that was yesterday.

Anyway, I was totally tired after the long hours of volunteer work.  I still hope that they will have many visitors in the botanical garden during the event.


No comments:

Post a Comment