Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Sep 16, 2015

Japanese "Silver Week"

In addition to the Japanese tradition of a spring leisurely week called "Golden week," Japanese officials introduced a new trend called "Silver Week".   This will start on Sept. 19 and ends on Sept. 23, 2015.  Some business people will be enjoying  their autumnal five-day-offs.

Saturday, Sept. 19 - Some businesses are closed for weekend
Sunday, Sept. 20 - Some businesses are closed for weekend
Monday, Sept. 21 -  a national holiday (Respect-for-the-Aged Day)
Tuesday, Sept. 22 - a national holiday (People's Holiday)
Wednesday, Sept. 23 - a national holiday (Autumnal Equinox Day)

The "Respect-for-the-Aged Day" is a Japanese old tradition to celebrate "silver generations" or senior citizens, to honor them and to wich them to live longer.  

The word "silver" in "Silver Week" has two meanings.  First, the word "silver" refers to elderly people. For example, when we see signs "silver seat" in trains or buses, it means that the seats are designated for the elders only.  Second, we use it  for "Silver Week" in contrast to "Golden Week" that was held in spring season.





My husband and I went out for supper tonight.  This was the set menu I ordered in the restaurant. 


* * * * * * * * * *

The Golden week 2015 was as follows:

(Some businesses were closed for the highlighted days.)

Wedensday, April 29 -a National Holiday (the Late Showa Emperor's Birthday)
Thursday, April 30 - Working Day
Friday, May 1 - Working Day
Saturday, May 2 -  Some businesses were closed for weekend
Sunday, May 3 - a National Holiday (Constitution Memorial Day)
Monday, May 4 - a National Holiday (Greenery Day
Tuesday, May 5 - a National Holiday (Children's Day)
Wednesday, May 6 - a substitute National Holiday #

#(May 3 fell on Sunday, so we had an additional day off on May 6.)

No comments:

Post a Comment