Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Sep 14, 2015

The reasons that I don't work these days

When I take lessons with new RJ tutors, they usually ask me what I do.  I respond, "Nothing and one of the reasons is my menopausal disorder."  However, they don't believe and still wonder why I don't work.

How can I explain my situation? 

"My husband retired from his work last spring.  He and I currently live on his pension."

"I live in the countryside, which seems to be a place where a lot of physical labor is required in workplaces such as factories, farms, homes for the elderly and stores."

"I have had serious diseases and had been hospitalized before.  My doctors told me not to work because my physical strength cannot stand the heavy work load."

"My husband also told me not to work, as well.  He claims that if I work under such physical condition, I may not be able to keep my work for a long time.  Within six months or so, I might quit jobs because of my poor health condition.  In the end, hospital expenses would exceed what I could earn.  Plus, if I am hospitalized again, he must be responsible for the household chores."

"I have tried to work through the Internet before.  However, the money I got was just a little compared with my eyes' tiredness."

Five years ago, I found a part-time job in a post office during the Christmas season.  I worked for four hours each day and five days a week from Nov. 23 to Dec. 22.  In that period, many Christmas presents and year-end gifts were assembled at the Post Office for delivery.    

I was one of the staff members to sort them out according to the receivers' addresses.  Cargoes to Hokkaido should be assembled in one place so that one truck can carry them efficiently.  Same with Tohoku, Tokyo, Kansai, Kyushu, Shikoku, and Okinawa and other regions.  Carrying packages ranging from 1 kilogram to 20 kilograms to particular locations was not so easy, but I completed the physical labor for the four weeks.

I earned about 60,000 yen in total.  

I have a "too considerate" husband who tried to pick me up on rainy days.  On his way to pick me up, he accidentally damaged his car by crashing its lower bumper to a little larger wheel stopper in front of a convenience store.  He had to pay 250,000 yen to have his car repaired.  That was four times bigger than what I earned in one month.

I worked because I wanted to earn money but it cost too much to work as well.

Here are other reasons.  Once I worked for the homes for the elderly in my part-time job.  I usually went there by bicycle.  On rainy days, I used an umbrella and walked to go there.  There was a McDonald's on the way, so I stepped inside.  Sometimes, a 40-minute walk after the physical labor would be tough, but if I could find a little enjoyable place, it would be nice.     

One rainy day, my husband thought that walking for 40 minutes under the rain would be terrible, so he drove his car to go there.  

I used to put my daily working shift on our refrigerator.  I have told him to check it for a number of times before.  

However without checking it, he drove to my workplace at 5:00 p.m.  My shift was until 6:00 p.m. that day.  He arrived one hour ahead so he had to wait. 

Most of the caregivers went to work by car.  The rental space fee was withdrawn from their monthly salary.  I was very afraid if someone came to complain about their rental space being occupied by my husband's car.

I didn't ask him to pick me up.  I was willing to walk under the bad weather.   Judging from his attitudes, he was uneasy staying home alone or he was getting hungry. 

* * * * * Here's are some redundant sentences * * * * *

I used the salary I got from the Post Office to travel alone to my home town, Tokyo.  The fare of Shinkansen, or the bullet train, from Himeji to Tokyo was about 33,000 yen for a round trip.  One-night stay at a youth hostel without any meals cost 4,000 yen.  I paid 16,000 yen for a four-night stay.  I didn't go to any fancy restaurants because I couldn't afford them.  It was easy for me to find cheaper restaurants because I lived in Tokyo for 40 years.  Indeed, I had a great time visiting there.

Our working contract prescribed that we walk, or use bicycles or public transportation like buses or trains.  The Post Office managers were afraid that they would be asked to take responsibility if the employees caused car accidents. 

No comments:

Post a Comment