Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Dec 8, 2015

Dec. 8 - Workout, Recreation, and Change

My doctor advised me to do some workouts because my cholesterol level is high.  So, I go to a small mountain in my neighborhood once or twice a week.  There are two mountains that are 30-minute away from our home.  Mt. Jinju is 175 meters while Mt. Aso is 173 meters high.  It takes another 30 minutes to reach the summit from the foot of the mountain.

There is nothing special to see in the mountain but I still decided to bring my camera with me so as not to get bored.  It has been my recreation to take photos of wild birds these days.  Various kinds of birds can be seen in the mountain, especially in winter.  It would also be a good change to be away from my husband whom I spend my time with 24/7.







Japanese people are usually shy but we still say hello to someone we meet in a mountain or hill, even if he or she is a stranger.

Two weeks ago, I met a man when I went up to Mt. Jinju.  As a force of habit, I said "hello" to him.  Usually we only exchange pleasantries, but he continued talking.  He said, "I've been to this place so many times, but I have never seen a lady with such a nice camera.  Were you able to take any good photos today?"  looking at my Nikon SLR (single lens reflex) camera attentively.

I shook my head and said, "I live in this neighborhood.  I was just wondering if I could take pictures of the red leaves."  I hid my real purpose of going there which is to capture photos of birds.   I feel very disappointed when people's faces suddenly change, which seem to me like they don't see any interest for birds.  Then, they usually ask me "how could you find beautiful birds in a place like this? "      




Ducks are seen in winter season at the ponds
located at the bottom of Mt. Jinju.
 


One bird, the Japanese White-eye,
is seen in the left side of the picture. 

As much as I would like to be alone, I felt that he wanted to have some company to chat with while going up the mountain.  We explored the place together while chatting for about 90 minutes.





The foot of Mt. Jinju







The concrete road gets narrow to the top.  
It is still good for walking even after the rain.


There are several antennas on the summit. 
These are for TV and Radio transmitters.
We can command a great view to the Shikoku Island from the top.


Just before parting ways, he showed interest in getting my cellphone number. However I didn't give it to him because I live in a small town where nothing interesting can be found.  People will gossip about a man and a woman meeting each other.  This gossip will spread like a bushfire.  I suggested that we can just meet at the same spot by chance. 





  

Two days ago, I accidentally saw him while I was taking pictures at the same place.  We went up and down together while talking about our family and health conditions.

He told me that he is 66 years old and retired from work as a taxi driver last year.  He registered for a local NPO group which introduces senior citizens to work in part-time jobs.  He added, "They have various jobs such as desk works and parking lots staff members, etc.  However, I am not suitable for them.  I only accept jobs such as removing weeds in the garden.   Unfortunately, the job is only available during the summer season.  Grasses don't grow fast in other seasons, and I am jobless now."






During the course of our conversation, I also found out that he is diabetic and he needs to go to the doctor every month.  His medications are cost 20,000 yen or $200 every month.


He added, "My wife and I have been living on our pensions which amount to a total of 270,000 yen or $2,700 bimonthly.  We are paying for our house, and it is very tough to survive by our pensions only.  Fortunately my wife works as a part timer and earns about 100,000 yen or $1,000.  I owe my wife a lot.  She has knee problems, and her doctor suggested that she have a knee surgery.  I never complain whatever she cooks and what I can do is to take care of my health.  To do that, I need some exercises.  That is why I come here regularly.  If I become very ill, the more that I would need my wife to support me financially."


He has been very careful about what he eats.  He told me that he drinks Japanese tea most of the time.  He brings his thermos filled with green tea in his car so that he need not buy tea from a vending machine.  Sometimes when he drinks coffee, he doesn't put any sugar or milk in it.






He told me that there was a time when he went up the mountain twice in one day; once in the morning and the other in the afternoon.  He seemed to have walked for more than 10 kilometers that day.  He concluded, "My legs were totally exhausted that time.  But walking in the mountain once a day makes me feel so much better than staying at home all day."

His height is just about my husband's.  He is 165 centimeters tall, but he looks thin like 60 kilograms or so.  My husband weighs like 75 kilograms.


I told the retired taxi driver about my husband who was still 62 years old.  However, my husband has more health problems.  He had a stroke and a heart attack several years ago.  He suffers from hypertension, asthma, and metabolic syndrome.   I said, "I am not working at the moment because my husband has been uneasy being alone at home.  His doctor told me that if he has a persistent cough, he could die.  Also, when I worked at a nursing home a few years ago, he stumbled a few times in our garden.  I thought he needed somebody to be with him.  Whenever he moves a little more than usual, he would hyperventilate, just like he had ran a mile.  Therefore, he doesn't like walking, much less going up a mountain." 



The photo was taken at the Aso Shrine,
located at the bottom of Mt. Aso.



The retired taxi driver seemed interested in my husband's health condition who is in the same generation as him.  The driver said, "It was very unfortunate for your husband to have such serious diseases, even he is 4-year younger than myself.   I assume your husband cannot control his body because of the diseases, and he cannot control his emotions very well now.  Your husband may easily blow a fuse."  I nodded.

The driver also said, "You must have many stressful days with confronting your husband's diseases.  You have been doing very well.  But don't work too hard.  Take a good rest at places like this.  It would be good and refreshing for you.  Do you come here only in the afternoon, or do you sometimes visit in the morning?  I'm looking forward to meeting you again.  Ganbatte! or Hang in there! "


One Japanese Wagtail or Seguro Sekirei greeted us on the road

 
My husband and I are almost in the same boat as the driver and his wife.  My husband has just started receiving his pension while I have 16 more years  before I can get my pension.  We have already finished paying our housing loans, but we don't have any income.  We are trying very hard to make ends meet these days.  







Mt. Jinju and Mt. Aso are just about similar to each other.  The two mountains look deserted places, where trees and leaves are not taken care of properly.  I felt scared after hearing about the news that one man committed suicide at the top of Mt. Aso last summer. 

I seldom see people in the mountain when I go up there.  I feel lonely without taking my camera along.  But having a company to chat with, makes the walk nicer.

After arriving at home, I showed my husband the pictures I took.  Also, I relayed my conversation with the driver to him.  He said, "I would like to take some photos on the top of the mountain.  It would be nicer than yours.  Instead of going for a walk,  let me drive so that we can save our time."

I go up the mountain for exercise, and if he joins my walking, he would get a chance of exercise too.  After all, that's what his doctor advised him to do.  How could he consider going by car instead of walking? 


Is it possible that this kind of husband, who doesn't do any exercises, would be stronger in the future? 




You can't teach an old dog new tricks!



The picture was taken when my husband's sister
visited us with her dog, Boss chan.


 
I hope that I can convince him to do some walking instead of using the car for his health.  He can't be stronger if he lacks physical activities.



(All the photos were taken by O.Kay, the blog owner.)

No comments:

Post a Comment