Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Mar 7, 2014

from the Breaking News English Article (6th February, 2014)

I read the article (please click here) for the preparation of RareJob lesson today. 

The lesson material was very enjoyable to me.  I also listened the news approx. 2-minute recording.

The followings are my answers of 1. TRUE / FALSE: Read the headline. Guess if  a-h  below are true (T) or false (F).


a.Childcare is now more expensive than weekly bills for U.K. homes.
(F) According to the article, they didn't show any weekly bills for UK homes.
 
 
b.Childcare in some parts of the UK has increased by nearly 13%.
(T) They say that nursery, in another word childcare, have risen by 13% in the past year.
 Tutor's revision: They say that nursery or childcare fees, have risen by 13% in the past year.




 
c.Nursery costs in the UK have risen by more than 13% in the past year.
(F) They didn't say the whole area in the U.K., but in some parts of the country.
Tutor's revision: but only in some parts of UK
 


 
d.A report said there are too many nursery places in the U.K.
(F)  They said an insufficient number of places in nurseries, which means nursery schools are not enough.  

Original source
 http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1142471/childcare-fees-mortgage-rise-slows
 

 
e.The article suggests the report could deter couples from having kids.
(T)  Yes, I think so.  The article says would-be parents think twice about starting a family because they are required to pay more on childcare these days.

New Vocabulary
deter ... (from sth/ from doing sth) to make somebody decide not to do something or continue doing something, especially by making them understand the difficulties and unpleasant results of their actions. 
 
 
 
 
f.Average UK childcare costs over $500 more a year than housing loans.
(T) This is true because the article says that an average of $12,571 is spent on childcare while housing loan payments is only $12,000. 
 


 
g.The report's figures included the costs of food and clothes for children.
(F)  They say the report said the figures of them are not included.


 
h.The head of a UK childcare agency said the UK system was fantastic.
(F)   No. I don't think so.  The system is not attractive to young couples who want to start a family.  They have to spend more money on child care, so Jill Rutter says "the system isn't fit for the purpose". 


2.  Make sentences using certain words.

PROSPECTIVE
(My sentences)
He is a prospective buyer because he inquired about our products many times. 

OBVIOUS
(My sentence)
You are obviously a good tutor to everyone because many students enjoy your lessons.

OUTSTRIPPING
(Tutor's sentence)
Our company is outstripping me of my rights.
meaning the company pays less than they should do.

(Longman Dictionary's sentences)
Speeding at 90 mph, Denny outstripped police cars for an hour.
Demand for new aircraft production is outstripping supply.

(My sentence)
My sister belonged to a high school's athlete's club.  She outstripped everyone who participated in the parents' sports activity competition in school last week.


My opinion

(1) For young working couples, why don't the government suggest that the government or municipal offices offer some subsidies such as burdening half of school fee or nursery payment?

(2) I also suggest that companies establish day care center or nursery close to the company building so that the employees can ask their children to take care of during their work.  The company should provide such service with lower payment compare to other facilities in their neighborhood.

 

Read more: http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/1403/140306-childcare.html#ixzz2vE0Nrrnq

No comments:

Post a Comment