Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Mar 7, 2016

Mar. 7 - Komatsuna pot

It was warm today.  The temperature got more than 20 degrees Celsius outside.  I felt comfortable with the sunshine so I decided to stay outside and plant Komatsuna, also called Japanese mustard spinach, this morning.  

I would like to write about my Komatsuna planting today.


It looks similar to spinach but it tastes bitter.
It contains more vitamin A, Iron, and Calcium than spinach.






  

I bought some komatsuna in a local grocery store about 10 days ago.   They had roots so I kept their bottoms in a jam container for planting them later.  It was cold until yesterday so I couldn't find any chances to plant them outside.  As you can see them in the picture, the leaves have already growing for 5 centimeters long. 


  
* * * * * * * * * *


Today, I planted them with two kinds of soil; one is leaf mold and the other is the compost which was made from our kitchen wastes.  

I would like to explain about the leaf mold at first.  

We have two maple trees and one Japanese apricot tree in our garden.   I collected some of the fallen leaves last autumn.




I also collected packages of rice bran that some of the local restaurants offer us for free.





It was just before Christmas when I put the rice bran, fallen leaves and some water in a plastic bag.  I mixed them well.  After that I put the mixture into a sand bag and placed them outside. 







Twist the top.


I placed them outside under the roof so that the bags do not get soaked in the rain.


It was warm today so I went outside and opened the package.


I thought that our leaf mold was ready for use. 





I put some leaf mold at the bottom of a small pot.




 Then, I added some soil which I had sieved earlier.

The other soil was made from my compost, which is a mixture of rice bran, soil, water and our kitchen wastes such as peels of vegetables, fruits, coffee, etc.


  
I put the Komatsuna on top.

I am happy that I used the fallen leaves in our garden, and the free package of rice bran to grow organic vegetables from the roots of Komatsuna.

No comments:

Post a Comment