Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Nov 29, 2013

For our lesson Nov. 30

My dearest RareJob teacher,

I found the writing below from my vocaburary book.  I enjoy reading it, however, I don't understand some parts.  Would you please help me ?




P. 64  WORD SEARCH 10

The Potato that Strangled Idaho

People who are squamish (=easily shocked) about the sight of blood or recoil (=draw back) in horror from most forms of violence would do well to avoid some of the movies now being shown at their local cinemas.  Producers have learnd that films that scare the patrons out of their seats, ironically, put millions of fans into those seats, keeping them engrossed (=absorbed) in the goose pimple-inducing spectacles that flash across the screen.

I think that I understood the meaning of the first paragraph.  To summarize it, some people doesn't like shocking movies.  He or she leaves their seats in the middle of the movie.  On the other hand,  scary movies might get popularize with millions of people. 

Of course, each movie carries with it a rating that indicats its suitability for certain age groups, either because of its subject matter, language, presentation, or level of violence.  Pictures with a "G" rating are approved for all audiences, while, at the other end of the scale, those that are given an "X" rating are for adults only with no children allowed under any circumstance.  Getting an "R" rating indicates that the movie is restricted (no one under 18 admitted without an adult) but some Hollywood moguls consider the "R" to be the magnet that insures box office success.  And we can be sure that as long as shock films ring up a merry tune on the cash registers, producers will not desist (=cease) from making them.

I think that I understood the meaning of the second paragraph.  In Japan, if we go to movie theaters, we can find the rating, "G", "R" and "X."  I haven't been to the movies for a long time, but I guess the rating system is very similar to that in Holloywood

A director who specializes in making gory films involving monsters, vampires, and brutal serial killers boasted in a college lecture that his work was in good taste.  One student who disagreed was provoked to interject (=interrupt) that in his opinion the diet of "shock-schlock" movies was in worse taste than those pictures that contained vulgar language and nudity.  "At least they're honest," he declared. 

The third paragraph is where I cannot understand clearly.  Could you please explain it to me with easy English?   

No comments:

Post a Comment