Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Nov 20, 2013

Questions from a vocabulary book

I have been studying an English vocabulary book titled "1100 WORDS You Need to Know" since last September.
                                                          (front side)
 
(the back side)
 
 
I am enjoying using this book to enrich my vocabulary, but sometimes I find some sentences too difficult for me to understand.  So I would like to ask RareJob tutors to translate them to easy English, or explain them using another words. 
 
I wrote below some parts from the textbook where I didn't clearly understand. 

Page 40 (Week 7 Day 2)

2. The indigent (=poor, needy) client was surprised when she was accosted(=approach and speak to) by her social worker in the elegant restarurant.

My question is the client may have pretended as poor to her social worker, and she really unexpected to meet her social worker such a fancy restaurant, so she didn't know how to act to her so instantly?


Page 47 (Week 8 Day 3)

4.  In an attempt to thwart (=to hinder, defeat) the voracious(=desiring huge amount) ants, he surrounded his house with a moat of burning oil. 

My question is the moat is a hole around his house, but maybe he put gasoline or solid oil in the moat, it can be dangerous.  In this case he used "the oil it can be burnable"  but it sounds like it actually "burning!" to me.  It sounds like to me, one of the exaggerating expressions. 

Page 48  (Week 8 Day 4)

1. With excuciating (=agnonizing, torturing) slowness, the minute hand inched its way around the clock.

My question is the watcher is irritating to watch the clock?  Or the clock is irritating?


Page 53 (Week 9 Day 1)
4. President Obama found that texting was an asset (=a valuable thing to have) to his communication skills.

My qustion is President Obama is sending his text message (by his mobile phone) to some of the officers?  Or generally it is said that he is good at making speech, so he says that it is important to make a speech?

No comments:

Post a Comment