Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Jan 20, 2014

My Opinion for Driver's Licence for Elderly

I studied the Unit 6 - Past continuous (I was doing) of English Grammar in Use a few days ago.

Some exercise of the textbook was interesting to me.

Quote

Put the verb into the correct form, past continuous or past simple.  (Here's with correct answers)

I (was cycling) home yeserday when a man (stepped) out into the road in front of me.  I (was going) quite fast, but luckily I (managed) to stop in time and (didn't hit) him.

Unquote


Hopefully, my answers were all correct for the two lines.   
As I had a similar experience, so I like to try to describe it using the above sentences.

Would you please correct my sentences below?

I was walking home after dark several years ago when a small truck stepped out into the crossing where I was walking. 

The truck was slow, so luckily I was not hit and all right.

---

(My additional sentences below)

There is a stop sign in front of the crossing, so he should have stopped there, but had ignored it.
There is an interjection behind the crossing line, so he slowed down his car for it, which was lucky for me.

As I noticed that the driver was elderly, and he might not have seen me before I knocked in the front of the car for a few times.  It didn't stop so I tried to let him know I was there.  Then, he was surprised when he found me so close.

I didn't report this to the police at that time because I had no injury. 

I have seen similar news caused by elderly drivers these days.

Some people discuss that the police should take up their driver's licence at a certain age.  My opinion is not reached whether they should do or not as yet -- I had the scary experience, but there was no injuries.  As I live in a countryside, I know what it means when it happens to elderies.  Without a car, he or she might need to walk to a shopping center which might take 30 or 60 minutes.  It may differ how fast they can walk or how heavy stuff they bring back from the shopping center. 

It also means if we take up their driver's licence, they might conclude abandoning their agricultural work because we have many farmers in my neighorhood.  They use their small truck to go to buy somethings needed for farming or they go to the yeilds to sell. 

My husband is getting old as he will be 61 on Jan 22, and he always says when it gets dark, he can't see very well, and he doesn't want to drive after dark.

Drivers always need to be attentioned to traffic rules, other cars and pedestrians. 

No comments:

Post a Comment