Recent Updates

I quit RareJob lessons at the end of August, 2016. It was my 3rd anniversary of taking lessons. I thought it was enough because I am getting older and I don't expect any job opportunity with English related. We don't have any foreign neigbors in the countryside.

I have already uploaded many pictures up to now. I feel it takes me quite a lot of time to upload another pictures, so I started writing another diary.

My new blog address is
http://kaypliche2.blogspot.jp/

Thank you!

Jan 8, 2014

My questions from a grammar book


I found some quesitons from my grammar textbook.  Would you please give me your opinion?

(I've already asked the questions below, and my questions were solved from a help from RareJob tutor's explanation.  Thank you!)

The sentences below are from "English Grammar in Use"



page 10, Unit 5 Past simple (I did)

5.1 Read what Laura says about a typical working day:
I usually get up at 7 o'clock and have a big breakfast.  I walk to work, which takes me about half an hour.  I start work at 8:45.  I never have lunch.  I finish work at 5 o'clock.  I'm always tired when I get home.  I usually cook a meal in the evening.  I don't usually go out.  I go to bed at about 11 o'clock, and I always sleep well.

My finding: the word "work" are used as adverb.   (RareJob tutor's opinion, Correct)

5.3 You ask James about his holiday.  Write your questions (to the underlined places.) 

Kay: Hi.  How are things? 

James: Fine,thanks.  I've just had a great holiday.

Kay: How did you go?  By car?

James: Yes, we hired a car in San Francisco.

Kay: It's a long way to drive.  How long did it take (you) / were you there?

James: Two weeks.

Kay: Where did you stay?  In hotels?

James:  Yes, small hotels or motels.

Kay:  Was the weather nice?

James: Yes, but it was very hot - sometimes too hot. 

Kay: Did you visit the Grand Canyon?

James: Of course.  It was wonderful.

----

My opinion to the above questions.  I was not able to answer the yellow place.  Anyway, the textbook gives us the correct ones.  They showed us above, but it sound strange to me because
James answered "Two weeks," so why the question could be "How long did it take (you)"?  

I don't think that James drove as many as 2 weeks from San Francisco to Denver.

(RareJob tutor's opinion:  This may cause a confusing question.  Maybe James traveled places to places on his holiday.  He stayed at small inns, and had many stops on his way to Denver.) 

P. 12   Unit 6 Past continuous (I was doing)
6.1  What were you doing at these times?  Write sentences as in the expample.  The past continuous is not always neccessary. 
1.  (at 8 o'clock yesterday evening)  I was having dinner.
2. (at 5 o'clock last Monday)  I was on a bus on my way home.
3. (at 10:15 yesterday morning) I was working.
4. (at 4:30 this morning)  I was in bed asleep.
5. (at 7:45 yesterday evening)  I was getting ready to go out.
6. (half an hour ago) I was watching TV at home.

As for #5 above, I am not sure which is correct? 
A.  I was still preparing for going out.
B.  I was already prepared.

I guess maybe A is corect? 
(RareJob tutor's opinion: Yes, A is right.  He or she was preparing such as choosing he or her clothes.)  

No comments:

Post a Comment